Friday, April 25, 2014

Dublin Daes/Purple Roses Chapter Two


Kallista woke up to a dark room. The last thing she remembered was falling unconscious to the floor in Em’s hotel room. Now she looked around and found herself alone.  For a moment she sat with her heart thumping wondering if everyone had left her and headed home. It would not be the first time.  There was that incident at the LAX airport last month with the baggage claim roller coaster ride.
Wincing, she pressed her fingers to her neck feeling the open wounds.  It was all still blurry about how she came to get the sounds. All she could remember was a dream where she was alone in a park at night. The rest of it was faded from memory.
Weakly she got up and moved like an old woman towards the door. She had just about reached it when someone stormed through, thrusting the door open sharply. The door caught her in the face sending her wheeling backwards till she fell on the bed again.
“Huh, door must need fixing,” Daniel said as he came in with the others following close behind.
“Looks like Kal is still sleeping,” Noam commented, disappointed.  “I was hoping she would be awake by now so we could find out what happened. “
“Chances are one of my enemies chose Pendragon, knowing she is the weakest leak to give us a warning. We have gotten too close for their comfort.” Drew answered.
“To close to what? Are you going to tell us now?”  Adra asked then turned to Kal who was just opening her eyes again. “By the way, thanks for taking one for the team, Kal.”
Looking somewhat confused, Kal just nodded and smiled.
“Might as well tell them,” Em spoke to Drew grimly. “They’re already involved now.”
Sighing, Drew ran a hand over his thick hair and nodded his consent. “Fine, if you trust them then so will I.”
Emerald took a deep breath and paced the floor while the others settled in and waited.
“To put it simply, when I returned to Ireland this last time, I encountered…..something unusual. It was night and I was by myself, just walking the streets alone and thinking about…..things.” Em paused and turned away to try and compose herself.
No one said anything knowing she was remembering Chase. Taking a deep breath she turned back towards them.
“I was attacked that night, or at least I thought I was.” Em continued, “I had stumbled into a fight between two werewolves.”
Shock filled the room but Em pressed on, lost in the story of that fateful night.
“It was a fight between brothers, but at that moment I didn’t know. All I knew was that what I thought was a huge dog was attacking me. I was suddenly used as a human shield against Drew’s attacks. To my surprise he did not attack when the other werewolf grabbed me.  That’s when I took matters into my own hands. I’m a Purple Rose after all!”
"So what you are saying is that Drew and that other brother are….werewolves?” Robin asked incredulous.
Instead of answering Drew stepped back a little from them and morphed into a silvery werewolf. Gasps of shock and awe filled the room.
“DOGGIE!” Kallista clapped her hands delighted then rushed over to cuddle him. ”So cute!”
Drew quickly morphed back to his human self while Octaboona and Daniel tried to restrain Kallista. All of them had seen many things in their short life but nothing like this.
“Impossible!” Flame stuttered, wide eyed.
“Apparently not,” Gep managed to speak as he swallowed hard.
If it weren’t for the fact that Emerald vouched for Drew, all guns would have been drawn on him at that moment.
“Emerald was amazing!” Drew claimed with admiration, as he continued. “She whirled on my brother and punched him in the nose. He never suspected that a human girl could hold her own against the likes of him!”
“After that, Drew’s brother retreated. He uttered some kind of warning and took off. “ Em added.
"For a normal human Emerald is sure filled with fire.” Drew admitted with a smile. “She demanded to know what the hell was going on. I told her the same thing I’m going to tell you. There is magic in the world, particularly in Ireland. Right now there is growing dissention between magical races and war will be on us if we cannot stop it. I believe my brother is a major factor in this but I needed proof.”
“I stayed here longer to give him help with my expertise.” Emerald shared. “But I kept it to myself because I did not want you all to worry and to become involved.”

“But now your friend,” Drew gestured towards Kallista who was busy thinking up names for her “new pet” she was oblivious to anything else, “was bitten by a werewolf.”
That got Kallista’s attention fast enough.
“I’m gonna be a doggie too?”
Drew facepalmed.
"Do we get to put her down?” Flame asked hopefully. “She might have rabies.”
“No, unfortunately that won’t be necessary,” Drew answered, refusing to look at the girl who was practicing her barking.
"OK, what did I just say?” She asked Drew excitedly after a particularly loud yip.
"On second thought…” Drew muttered as the others tried to quiet Kal again.
“Because of your interference,” Em glared at Kallista, “We are behind now. Today I was going to go undercover in the business district.”
“There is a corporation there we believe is just a front for Deacon and his cronies.” Drew told them. “There is something going down there today. It may not be too late. I wanted to just take Emerald with me, but I will need to take Pendragon too, so that I can council her about what to expect when bitten by a werewolf.”
“Do they have books on that? Maybe; What To Expect When Bitten By Werewolves for Dummies?” Robin asked.
“No, but they should,” Drew muttered, and then spoke up. “For the rest of you, if you could keep an ear out, maybe at some of the pubs you visit. Just keep a low profile. Of course I know you already know that. However it feels better just saying it.”
“We’ve got this,” NJ assured him. “This is unusual sure, but we are trained to handle anything.”
As they went their separate ways, Kallista noticed it was dark out. She had slept the whole day.
“When will I change?” She asked once they got into Drew’s truck.
“Tonight,” Drew said keeping his eyes on traffic. “Your attackers really knew what they were doing.”
“I wish I knew what I was doing,” Kallista muttered while holding onto her neck.
“Just so you know, I am parking here, a block away from the building.” He said as he pulled into a parking space.  “Don’t leave my side Pendragon. The change will happen soon. Because of this we can only observe but not interfere if at all possible.”
“We’ve got a shadow at three o’clock.” Em said tersely.
Kallista looked at her watch. It was only nine pm.
“Great, what do we do until then?” She asked crossly.
Eyes rolled but before anyone could biff her, the daft girl bent over with a groan.
“It’s happening already,” Drew informed Emerald as he grabbed Kallista and darted into an alleyway.
“I’ll lose the shadow.” She spoke simply then strolled swiftly away.
Beside him Kallista bent and screamed between clenched teeth.
“As soon as the light of the moon touched you, you began to turn.” He informed her while keeping a watch out. “Just let it come. Don’t fight it.”
“I’m not gonna want to eat doggy biscuits or chase cars am I?” She spoke harshly between the pain.
“Chasing cars is fun!”
“What?”
“Just kidding. Now shut up and finish changing.”
“What about you?”

“I can change at will at anytime. I don’t need a full moon. I’m a pure breed. You are a mutt.”
“Well, that’s ruff!” She wheezed, managing to laugh in between gasps of pain.
When the change was done, Kallista resembled a golden Pomeranian puppy.

4 comments:

  1. That was great! *hugs* lol I loved the “I’m not gonna want to eat doggy biscuits or chase cars am I?” She spoke harshly between the pain.
    “Chasing cars is fun!” bit :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Kallie is so cuuuuutttteee! ~cuddles~

    I laughed so hard at this quote:
    “We’ve got a shadow at three o’clock.” Em said tersely.
    Kallista looked at her watch. It was only nine pm.
    “Great, what do we do until then?”

    Everyone is being too harsh to poor Kal! But this is an awesome story! I wanna know what happens next!
    Also, nice pun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm glad you posted a second part so soon!

    I agree with Skyril about the shadow/9pm quote. It made me laugh :D

    *hugs*

    Kal's reaction to Drew turning into a werewolf is great too


    Can't wait for part 3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kal, this is awesome! *hugs*

    I love how instead of turning into a frightening wolf she changed into that puppy :P Brilliant writing, yet again.

    ReplyDelete